Survival guide for the hunting or fishing widow, and how to deal with your husband's obsession

Welcome fellow widows of hunters, fisherman and other outdoor enthusiasts.

Feel free to post your own comments, tips, advice and stories!

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Is Friday night date night, or time to go out fishing?

Back when I first started dating my husband, Friday and Saturday nights were reserved for dates. You know, going to the movies or a resturant. Sometimes, friends had parties at their homes and that was enough to qualify as a date. Now that we are older and have children, date nights have fallen by the wayside.

Unless you have a bromance going with your fishing buddies.

Then, you get, this conversation. I didn't crack the code until watching an old rerun of "Everybody Loves Raymond." Then I realize men do this with golf, hunting, fishing, poker or just to hang out anywhere but with their families. I have to say, my husband doesn't pull this very often. But he did last night, so I have to vent.

"Jim* and Bob* are meeting up at the pier with some other guys for night fishing."
"Do you want to go?"
"Nah, I don't really want to deal with people right now. I think I'm just going to stay home." (Translation: I am in a bad mood because I really want to go with my friends, but I can't, so I am going to be grumpy at home with you.)
"Well, why don't you go for just a little bit." (Translation: Stop bothering me about this. I know you want to go, but need permission, so let's stop playing games. You go, I can be the great wife and we'll all be happy.)
"You think? Oh, but I promised you guys I would hang around here tonight. And besides, I've made plans with Mark to go out in the morning."
"Yeah, but you don't see Jim and Bob that often. We're not doing anything here. I think you should go."
At these words, you would have thought the magic fishing fairy had suddenly given my husband rocket jets for legs. He was changed into his fishing outfit and packed his tackle box before I had a chance to realize I'd been played.
"OK, I'll go. I won't be gone long. I'm really tired," he said with a sigh.
Meanwhile, four hours later, I'm still on the couch by myself reading my Kindle (which said husband bought for me for Christmas, so he's not all bad.) This "won't be gone long" turned out to mean "I'll be home around 1 a.m."
Sigh. What he doesn't know is that during that time, I slowly plotted my own girls' night out with MY friends. After all, I was just taught how to perfectly execute the plan, and get my spouse's permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment