Survival guide for the hunting or fishing widow, and how to deal with your husband's obsession

Welcome fellow widows of hunters, fisherman and other outdoor enthusiasts.

Feel free to post your own comments, tips, advice and stories!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Picking up the right lure for the fishing husband, do not try this at home

One of my weekly duties is to go grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. I love Wal-Mart because I can pick up everything there in one stop and for a lot less money than at other stores. But the problem with Wal-Mart is that it also sells fishing equipment. Including hundreds of different types of lures.

As I was ready to leave for my shopping trip, my husband asked if I could pick up a lure for him at Wal-Mart. I knew I was in trouble. But he got me at a weak moment -- keys and shopping list in hand, child in the car. I agreed.

He wrote down the information -- brand, type, etc. Then he described it to me. "It's the one I used to get that big grouper the other week," he started.
 "Huh?" I asked. "I didn't notice."
"Sure, I pointed it out to you. It's got red and purple and a feather on it? I told you it was my favorite," he explained.
Well, yes, I sometimes do go with my husband and child to fish along the shore. But even if I'm holding a pole, I never look at the lure. They're all the same to me.
He finally disappeared into the utility room/tackle shop and emerged with one. "Here," he said. "Take this with you and just get one like it. Exactly like it."

So, list in hand, off I went. I got the groceries I needed and then, with a sigh, headed to the fishing department. As luck would have it, there were no workers around. I was on my own. I started searching the aisle. I found four "exactly" like the one he gave me. Which is the one he wanted?

After about 20 minutes of debating over which lure to buy, I noticed a man further down the aisle looking at lures, so I tried getting help. "Excuse me, please. But which of these lures are exactly like this one?" I asked.

This was no help. He started talking a different language -- fishingese -- asking whether my husband wanted to use it for fresh or salt and what type of line he had and at what speed would the wind be blowing (OK, I made the last question up, but you get the idea). I gave up.
I picked the one I thought matched the lure my husband gave me and headed home.
Of course, it was the wrong one.
I told my husband the next time HE could get his own lures. And crossed "fishing lure" off my shopping list for good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment