Survival guide for the hunting or fishing widow, and how to deal with your husband's obsession

Welcome fellow widows of hunters, fisherman and other outdoor enthusiasts.

Feel free to post your own comments, tips, advice and stories!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Florida Fishing and Hunting Widows planning around fishing and hunting

"We're not doing anything Saturday, right?" my husband asks about every Thursday. I'm sure many of you Florida fishing and hunting widows out there can relate. You probably have similar conversations with your own Florida fishermen and hunters.

For those yet uninitiated, let me forewarn you. This conversation starter is not an indication your fisherman spouse is being considerate of your feelings or any plans you might actually have. This is just a way of the fisherman to validate plans he already has made with his fishermen buddies. In Florida, fishing is a way of life and not because Florida fishermen eat the fish they catch, although many do. It's just because Florida has such beautiful weather that Florida anglers have a fishing opportunity almost every weekend of the year.

My husband's Florida fishing buddies start calling around Wednesday or Thursday to go out Saturday mornings. Sometimes, they take a boat. Sometimes, a kayak. Sometimes, they just go down to the fishing pier or shore with their fishing poles. In any case, your Saturday is gone.

I usually tell him to go ahead -- he works hard during the week, so why shouldn't he have a chance to go play with his fishing friends? Then I take our son to soccer games, the playground, the grocery store or to a birthday party. By noon, he's usually back and then we can play.

 Sometimes, if I'm really lucky, he'll take our young son with him, and then I have the morning to myself. Peace and quiet. A chance to go shopping or go to lunch with a friend. Because, why should I have to spend the morning cleaning, cooking or doing laundry if he's out fishing and having fun?

What do you think, fellow Florida fishing and hunting widows?  What do you say when your Florida fisherman husband wants to go fishing EVERY Saturday? Let me know, I'm still learning and I can always use advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment