Survival guide for the hunting or fishing widow, and how to deal with your husband's obsession

Welcome fellow widows of hunters, fisherman and other outdoor enthusiasts.

Feel free to post your own comments, tips, advice and stories!

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cabela's catalogue 101 for the Florida hunt and fish widow

The Cabela's spring hardback catalog arrived today.
For my Florida hunter, this is a red-letter day. His reaction to the sight of the new Cabela's catalog, all shiny and new, reminds me of when I was a kid and the Sear's Christmas catalog arrived in the mail. My brothers and I fought over who would get the first look at the new season's toys and games so we could start our wish lists to Santa Claus.
In my house, there is no fighting over the Cabela's catalog. It belongs to my husband alone.When the catalog arrives, his eyes get big and he rushes into the bathroom to eagerly pore over the pages. I've seen him treat this mega-page book more gingerly than our wedding album or son's baby book. Honestly, even more tenderly than our family Bible.
For those fishing and hunting widows who don't know, the Cabela's catalog IS the Bible for fishermen and hunters.  It contains everything any fisherman or hunter would ever want -- hunting boots, tree stands, lures, tents, coats, waders, camoflauge wear, fishing poles or guns.
Don't know what to get your Florida fisherman or hunter? If  he hasn't been initiated into the world of Cabela's, all you need to do is get a hardback catalog with a gift certificate and let him loose.  He'll be occupied for hours just salivating at the pictures.
And, hunting and fishing widows of the world, the catalog includes women's wear, baby and children's clothing and toys and furniture. The catalog has everything you need to decorate your home into a hunter's and fisherman's dream. That is, IF you can get the catalog away from your spouse.
Oh, and Cabela's has a special Visa card that lets your spouse accumulate points so he can buy more things. My husband loves to point that out to me. Whenever I question why another Cabela's labeled box has been left at our front door, he just smiles and says, "Oh, that's nothing, I bought it with my Cabela's points."
Hmmm.
Most hunting and fishing widows are familar with this speical book. Once, early on in our relationship, I ordered something for my husband and had it delivered to my office. When it arrived, other women asked me what it was.
"It's a gift for my husband," I admitted sheepishly.
"Yes, we know Cabela's," they said, insisting on seeing the camo coveralls I ordered. "We have hunters too."

Let me hear your stories and experiences with Cabela's!

No comments:

Post a Comment